How can you increase participation in communal recycling programmes and decrease the cross-contamination of their waste?
We’ve compiled this quick guide to help you and your residents improve communal recycling rates:
1. Make Space to Increase RecyclingProviding residents with a communal waste storage area can help improve waste sorting.
According to WRAP, a barrier which stops people living in apartments from recycling easily, is limited storage space and the ease with which materials can be transported to a collection point. *To help overcome this issue provide a designated area for waste and collection, with the appropriate size and number of colour-coded containers.
Considerations for collecting communal waste:
2. Minimise the Risk of Cross-Contamination
Offering distinctly labelled collection containers for recyclable and non-recyclable waste can help minimise the risk of cross-contamination. We recommend:
3. Maintain Hygiene LevelsMaintain outstanding hygiene levels to show current and future residents that you care.
The Visage screen systems and Modus bin housings hygienically conceal unsightly waste thanks to innovative features including:
4. Increase Security and SafetyProvide residents with peace of mind, by securely covering or housing four-wheeled waste containers to reduce the risk of theft, arson or other types of vandalism. Increase security by:
Fire Safety Fire safety can often be a concern for communal wheeled bins. If fire safety is a concern for your site, we recommend the Modus bin housing with the Glasdon Firesafe™ optional extra. This automatic fire suppression device can be fitted inside the hood of the container. If a fire breaks out inside the bin, this device is automatically activated. The following tips can prevent bins from overflowing and help minimise the risk of fire:
5. Personalise your Bin HousingFixing posters above or directly onto the bins is the most effective way to remind residents of sorting instructions. Thanks to their fully customisable design, you can add personalised sorting instructions directly to the Modus and Visage bin housings.
You could even add your housing association logo, recycling message or other personalised graphics to create an attractive, appealing recycling station.
To find out more about our Wheelie Bin Housings or large capacity waste management solutions – contact us today or speak to one of our friendly advisors on LiveChat now! Source: * http://www.wrap.org.uk/content/recycling-collections-flats-methods-improving-performance